Monday, 11 March 2013

Spirals

I have always been fascinated by spirals.  I feel strangely drawn to them as a shape and often choose a spiral motif, even unconsciously, in clothing, earrings, decorating accents, artwork, and even when doodling absentmindedly.  On the desktop of my computer I have a folder called 'Spirals'... filled with (you guessed it) images gleaned from the internet  - of spirals found in nature on both the macro level (spiral galaxies) and micro level (fractals). Plants, animals, seashells, architecture, minerals, all displaying the pleasing, compelling movement inherent in the shape of a spiral.  Somehow, they speak to me in a very profound way.  Remember the beginning of the Yellow Brick Road? From the centre, to the adventure.

Beginnings, endings, the tumbling forward of time and eternity, all reflected within a spiral's turning.  Tonight I needed to pause and be reminded of the profound, undeserved blessings in my life and who holds the centre together for all time.  Perhaps that is the metaphor of spirals for me: a recognition of the centre of all things and a continuous daily ebb and flow, a journey towards that centre and then back out again into the adventures of life.  Deo gratias.

No comments:

Post a Comment