I will stretch the definition of 'weekend' to include Friday evening, because that was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. I was beseeched not to show up at Red Phoenix Farm (aka 'the barn' or, 'the stable') until 7pm. I had a very hard time waiting until then, because Friday, March 1, 2013 was the day the lovely Lucera was to make the transition fully into my life.
When I arrived, the doors to the arena were closed. They are never usually shut unless a horse is 'at liberty' (aka running around loose) with a human handler... what was afoot? I was told to open the doors when ready... and there was Karen riding Lucera, my beautiful Andalusian dappled grey mare adorned with purple ribbons and flowers in her mane and tail - executing perfect 10 metre circles at in a beautifully balanced canter... a breathtaking sight. Lucera knew full well it was a special night, and as Rick and Jim started to flash their cameras in her direction, you could see her arch her neck and 'play' to the paparazzi, ever the diva! Karen dismounted and passed the reins to me, and my joy was complete - but wait! I was told to check out the locker room, only to find a 'riding' flamenco dress, with ruffles and sequins which was part of the Lucera 'package'! Karen had made the dress for Spanish Fiesta demonstrations, and was giving it to me! Gredi helped me to step into it, and the cameras flashed frenetically as I was assisted into the saddle (hey, mounting a horse with a flamenco dress on is tricky!). I had a brief, inagural ride as Lucera's new owner, then the fine vintage 1995 champagne flowed as we enjoyed a tack room party complete with smoked salmon, tapenade, crackers, cheese, and other delectables, courtesy of Jim! (Paperwork and cheques also exchanged hands, as is necessary with these transitions.) What a memorable evening to be ever etched in my heart. Lucera and I will become 'dance partners' as I learn her ways and she learns mine. It is truly the beginning of a journey!
Saturday was filled with a great riding lesson in the morning, baking, reading and a great 'Spring into Spring' Bluegrass concert with the Spinney Brothers and Bluegrass Tradition, in Windsor. I love the virtuosity of the instrument players as they emulated Earl Scruggs 'Rocky Mountain Breakdown'! How can one person's fingers pick a banjo so FAST? There is no sound like bluegrass music played with fully engaged heart and soul!
Sunday (today) was back to the barn, a terrific ride on Jacob, enjoying the 'fellowship of the horse' with my fellow horsewomen, back home for the afternoon reorganizing my office (with Rick's creative help) to accomodate my 'sewing station' and finally another ride this evening, on Lucera. It was another first, a ride alone in the arena with just the two of us connecting and listening to each other, trusting and bonding. I give myself permission to feel physically tired tonight, although my mind and soul are filled with such joy as not to be contained. Whadda weekend, indeed!
aw it sounds very special. may you have many wonderful rides together
ReplyDeleteHey Janet,
ReplyDeleteWhat an introduction to our reconnecting! We have so much to catch up on...
I'm back living in Halifax, now, so let's plan a big chin wag!
Moira
Absolutely! I am in Halifax next Tuesday (the 12th) for a 5pm eye appointment, do you want to get a bite to eat and visit? Where do you live? I am an hour outside of Halifax...
Delete