Monday, 18 February 2013

Delicious Tiredness

I call the feeling I get when, at the end of the day, I am physically spent from 'useful' physical exertion - 'delicious tiredness', because I know I have a a teapot full of King Cole tea steeping on the woodstove, a warm house, and a comfortable bed in which I can experience restorative sleep.  Best of all, I have a wonderful life partner willing to listen to my latest trilling about riding Jacob and/or Lucera. 

The physical exertion of mucking out stalls, pushing a wheelbarrow down the long side of the arena to the manure pile, wrestling a hose back onto its reel, and toting hay bales makes me feel strong and capable.  Any friend or family member is welcome to pinch my 'pipes' (aka biceps) to verify their advancing state of firmness!

For the very first time in my life, I might  warrant the description 'wiry'... imagine that! I have defined muscles from barn work, not a gym, and it feels damn good, I must say!  Not to mention the sculpting effect of riding Jacob or ground driving/training him in the deep sand of the arena.  I highly recommend this type of conditioning, fun, useful and gratifying!   Lest I come of here as bragging, I want to submit thanks to the God of the universe for gracing me with the chance to experience all these wonders.

Tonight the high wind was causing the clouds to scud very fast across the night sky, alternately obscuring and revealing stars and a half moon which shone so brightly there was no need for a flashlight on my way to the car. Even the dead of winter brings its own wild beauty, and the little signs of impending spring have already begun, like shedding horses and longer hours of daylight. For now I am deliciously tired and bed is calling me as quiet descends upon this old farmhouse in rural Nova Scotia.

No comments:

Post a Comment