I remember the time all I knew about the Womens' Institute was:
1. My mother-in-law had belonged to the WI at one point
2. The movie 'Calendar Girls' involved the WI 'ladies' proving it was not only about 'jam and Jerusalem' (the latter being the hymn/theme song of WI in Britain).
Now, as a fully functioning member of the Hants Shore branch of the WI I can proudly say it is indeed much more! We are celebrating the 100 years of the founding of the Womens' Institute, and the benefit to rural woment the world over (we are affliated with the ACWW, the Associated Country Women of the World) is immeasurable. I will not go into great detail here, but the fun, learning and camaradarie of the WI are strong reasons to belong! We had our open house at Centre Burlington Hall this afternoon, and despite the rain and low community attendance, there was a party atmosphere as we all met new friends, chatted and indulged in treats... and got to bring home a variety plate each, ha!
There is something vital, strong and deeply satisfying about hearing the stories of so many interesting women and their families, who live in a small radius of community here on the Hants Shore. Such willingness of spirit, hunger for connection, and impressive abilities - intellectual, organizational and domestic. I am delighted to be a part of it all, from young mums with babes in arms to those of us enjoying grandma hood or hoping to one day.
Oh yes! I had a great ride on Jacob this morning, and groomed Lucera thoroughly, singing 'Getting to Know You!'. My cup runneth over...
No comments:
Post a Comment