I sat down in front of my new sewing machine at the dealer's shop. The shop owner held me in her thrall for an hour and a half, as I negotiated the 'new world' of a sewing machine with a computer 'brain' and Swedish engineering (Husqvara Viking - who knew they made more than chainsaws?). It has been at least 15 years since I used a sewing machine, but mind you I was 'pretty good' at sewing way back when. I was ok, then, with the jargon like 'feed dog', 'presser foot' and 'bobbin winder'...
In the early 1990's, in an effort to contribute to the family economy while briefly flirting with the concept of being a 'stay at home mum', I established my own business: "The Last Remake", using repurposed (we call it 'upcycling' now) fabric, leather, fur and buttons to fashion 'one of a kind' hats, which I then sold at the Halifax Farmer's Market. The hats were very popular and helped me to contribute to our family's economy with at least the weekly grocery money for two years running. My dad started me out by generously paid for a brand new Kenmore sewing machine that I almost wore out, particularly since ripping apart velvet, wool coat material and brocade lofted much lint into the air, and the machine (and my lungs, another story!). In any case, my creative needs were well exercised and I had lots of fun being a vendor at the market... which could be the topic of a whole other batch of stories!
Back to my current adventure... I was BLOWN AWAY by what a mid-range machine can now do! There is a large screen with a computerized 'sewing advisor' which automatically sets stitch length, tension, advises on which foot, needle type, etc for optimum success. Look out world! My intent is to refashion old clothes, etc into funky aprons, bags, art and other projects, to sell for funds for charity. It is also selfish... I have a deep seated need to CREATE and this gives me a foolish measure of delight! I have a pile of 'stuff' from the second hand shops to upcycle, thank you Pinterest, and the internet and all the artists out there... I could be at this for many years! Oh yes, I sent away for, and received, pattern to make Jacob a 'medieval barding'... a.k.a the costume a knight's horse would wear. I can also use the pattern to design our very own heraldic crest to applique on the rump cover and breast plate. Very practical uses for my new machine, right? In the mean time, hmmm, I did promise Rick to hem his dress pants.... wheeeee, there is a 'blind hem' app! And I was shown how to use it. Ahhhh, technology. I LOVE IT!
No comments:
Post a Comment